Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Bark

Happy Valentine's Day!
Let me just share a tidbit of my day with you. Do you mind? I didn't think so.
It was decent weather today so I told my boys to go out back and play. It is a fenced yard so I let them play by themselves out there and I frequently check on them to make sure they are being kind to one another. On one "check" I didn't see them. Hmm? Maybe they are in the dirt and I can't see them, perfectly logical, they are boys after all. Nope. Then I catch a glimpse of an orange jacket OUTSIDE the fence. How did they get out? If you know anything about my boys, one is a runner. By that I mean, he will run out into the street and not look back. Of course I panicked. We don't live on a busy road, but they need to stay in the safety of the fence.
I ran to the front door, pushed my feet halfway into shoes and flew out the door.  I rounded the corner to go around back, I was slightly irritated mind you and not looking where I was going. Suddenly I lost my balance,  there was no recovery. My foot twisted and down I went. I tried to get up, but pain shot through my foot. As I lay in the dirt, I look up to see my boys through the bushes with the "oh no we are caught, but wait why she is laying on the ground" look in their eyes. I tell my son to run in the house and get Daddy. My husband comes out, I know he is trying not to laugh even though he will deny it, helps me up and rounds up the boys. I pathetically hobble in the house feeling a bit deflated. I am sure my neighbors are still laughing about it. 


You know what I had to do... bake of course. My husband said I should put my foot up and stay off it, but we all know that's not going to happen. I needed cookies and chocolate... stat! It is Valentine's Day, a day dedicated to eating chocolate or is it a day dedicated to love. ... However you feel about Valentine's day, an excuse to eat chocolate is always a good day.






If you need a pick me up, here is what you will need:


Chocolate chip cookie dough minus the chips
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
(It was a new recipe and it didn't dissappoint)

Chocolate chips (I used white and dark)
M&M's

I have your attention now, don't I.... it gets better


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Make the cookie dough and spread into a lined or greased pan.
A little trick: spread it as good as you can in pan then cook for 5 min, take out the pan and the warm dough will spread out for you alot easier. 
Bake for about 10-12 minutes


Pour chocolate chips over the warm cookie. I used about 2 cups.
I made two pans, one with dark chocolate chips.....


and one with white chocolate chips....
Put back in the oven for about 3 minutes to melt the chips.



Take out of the oven and spread the melted chips over the cookie.


Place the M&M's on top of the warm chocolate. 
Let cool, then I place in the fridge for about an hour to harden.


Then slice, they tend to break up when you slice them, like a bark rather than a bar. There you have it. Sit down and enjoy. I may just put my feet up now. Enjoy your day full of love!




Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




No comments:

Post a Comment