Thursday, May 17, 2012

Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream






Ok, I'm going to admit something to you.


Try to keep it between you, me and blog-land. I use a cake mix sometimes! Shhh!! Don't gasp so loud.


I was really going to try a new white cake recipe, but I was running out of time and I saw that Duncan Hines box staring at me in the pantry. Before I knew I was whipping up my favorite box mix concoction. 


Judge me if you must, but you secretly love the taste of white box mix cake too.


To make myself feel better I made some vanilla bean frosting that was sooo delicious with this cake.


This was a for a special graduate I know. She is a very talented writer so I thought I would go with a very famous author for inspiration..... Dr. Suess.


I was thinking how every time I read something she has written, I either laugh, cry or am just plain proud of her. This saying seemed appropriate, "Oh, the places you'll go." Not just in her life, but where she takes you in her writing. Perfect for any graduate really. 


Congratulations to all the 2012 graduates!!! Oh, the Places you'll go!



My words of wisdom for you... there's always room for cake!


Easy and DeliciousVanilla Cake

1 Box White Cake Mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 
(you can use no cream and use 1 cup of whole milk instead)
8 Tbls (1stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line three 8 inch pans (or whatever size you want to use) with parchment paper.


Place the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides. Increase the mixer to medium speed and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well bended. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. 


Bake the cakes until they are light brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, about 25 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.
Allow to completey cool.

Vanilla Bean Frosting

1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
1 vanilla bean 
1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbls heavy whipping cream
6 cups powdered sugar

Scrape the inside of the vanilla bean into the butter and shortening and cream until light and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
Add half the powdered sugar and continue beating.
Add the vanilla and 1 Tbls of cream, continue beating.
Add the remainder of the powdered sugar and beat adding cream until you reach your desired consistancy.
Beat for about 5 minutes for optimum fluffiness.


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




1 comment:

  1. Great blog! :)

    I am definitely going to subscribe! If you'd like, please subscribe to mine as well.

    http://sugarlyeverafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete