Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fluffernutter Bars

Have you heard of fluffernutter sandwiches?

Have you ever tried one?

Life changing!

Before Christmas I had heard of these sandwiches I just never tried one. Crazy right?!

While visiting family over the Christmas holiday, my nieces and nephew were making little fluffernutter sandwiches. I thought...hmmm... those look pretty good, I think I'll try one.
My brain exploded...seriously...Exploded!
Why have I never tried one before? I have been missing out and I need another one! And another one!

I am not kidding people. I ate one every day for like a week. I even went out and bought the largest container of fluff I could find.

Now that I feel like a giant marshmallow, I decided I need to do more with peanut butter and fluff.

Then I saw a recipe on "Confessions of a Cookbook Queen" and knew I had to try it.

Wait for it..... Fluffernutter Bars! Oh yes!



Mix up some peanut butter chocolate chip goodness. Top with the Fluff fantastic, then sandwich it in with some more goodness.


Bake it to golden brown, cool and enjoy. Ok... truthfully, I couldn't wait I scooped some out while it was warm....another life changing moment. Yum!

If you want to slice it into cute little squares you will have to refrigerate until completely cool. But, if you want it to ooze fluffiness, leave it at room temp.

Here is the recipe:

Fluffernutter bars
adapted from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

3 cups all purpose flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 sticks salted butter, slightly softened
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 1/4 cup packed dark or light brown sugar  (I used light brown)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
13 oz (the large jar) Marshmallow Creme

Instructions
-Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
-In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
-In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla.
-Stop the mixer to scrape the sides of the bowl before adding the eggs one at a time, beating after each. --Scrape the sides of the bowl again.
-With the mixer on low speed, slowly add flour mixture until incorporated. Using a wooden spoon, make sure all the flour mixture from the bottom of the bowl is mixed in (batter will be thick). Fold in chips.
-Spread approximately 2/3 of batter in prepared pan.
-With the lid (and packaging seal) removed, microwave the Marshmallow Creme, stirring every 20 seconds, until it's softened and easy to spread. Spoon evenly over batter in pan and spread gently.
-Spoon remaining batter over marshmallow, as evenly as possible. Spread a bit, then using a sharp knife, drag through the batter, creating a "swirl". Bake for about 30 minutes, until edges are brown and bars are dark golden all over
(some of the marshmallow may puff up and get darker brown than the rest of the batter this is okay).
-Let bars cool completely. Refrigerate until firm for ease in cutting (this also keeps the marshmallow from oozing out).


From my heart, to your kitchen,





2 comments: