Friday, August 10, 2012

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies and another Green Smoothi


Week 2 of Green Smoothie every morning. The one I made this morning will be at the end.
Week 1 of Gluten-free (gf), Dairy-free (df) diet. 

I know you are anxiously awaiting to hear how it's going.   
First few days were a bit torturous challenging. I was a bit discouraged with all the foods I couldn't eat. I'm just plain hungry.  
This may not be a big deal to you, but to a foodie like me, it was difficult to wrap my brain around. Then I started finding a TON of gf recipes and blogs and started cooking.
I also went out and bought some gluten-free snacks, some were great and some where down right ew. Coconut milk yogurt, not so great. Veggie chips, not too bad. 
Trail mix, ate the whole bag in two days. Chex cereal with Lactaid, surprisingly delicious.


One super great side effect, my clothes are looser. After only a week, well two if you count from the smoothie beginning. 
I would love to tell you I lost weight, but I don't own a scale. As soon as I get one, I'll let you know the results.

However, I need cookies! I need to bake! I finally couldn't take it anymore and searched for a gf recipe that I could make with the ingredients I already have. I found....
Peanut Butter Cookies!
Score!

Super easy too!

Here is what you will need:

1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used the Natural pb)
1 cup white sugar (I did 1/3 white and 1/2 brown)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla


Basically, throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon. I told you it was easy.


Roll the dough into balls and roll in sugar. Press criss-cross with a fork. My 3 year loved that he could help.


Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on your oven. Don't Overbake! 

Right out of the oven they are yummy (as you see the missing spot where I am munching one while taking the picture) Don't judge, I seriously needed a cookie.
Meanwhile, while they were yummy, it was not entirely the same as a pb cookie with flour.

My hubs said it tasted like the dough, just baked... um sweetie... that's what cookies are... baked dough. I couldn't resist, he really opened himself up for that one. Upon further discussion that really is the best description. That grainy texture of cookie dough.

If you have enough will power to wait a day, they taste even better. Maybe they just have to sit and come to terms with the fact they don't have flour.
We all agree here in my house, better the next day. My 5 year old keeps asking for more. So, definitely kid approved.

What should I try next? 
I'm a bit excited about these new possibilities.

Let's talk Smoothie:

1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup Pineapple (all I had left, you could add more)
1 Peach (I peeled the skin off mine)
1 Pear
1 Carrot (medium size)
Handful of Spinach


I put it all in the blender in the order of ingredients. I read somewhere to put the soft fruits and veggies first, end with the spinach and ice. Not sure why, but it works much better.


This mornings green color did not look that appealing, but it was actually really good.

If you are wondering how filling they actually are, they do pretty good. I start to get hungry again 3-4 hours later and grab a snack before lunch. I have made the smoothie as a morning snack after breakfast. 

Do I have more energy? Really hard to judge since I'm chasing around 3 boys all day, but I definitely don't feel as tired as I usually do. I have had no stomach pains this week either. 

What do I eat? 
Yesterday I had.....
Breakfast: Coffee with Lactaid and a Green Smoothie
Lunch: Salad with turkey, carrots, cucumbers and sesame seeds with vinaigrette dressing.
Snacks: Trail mix and veggie chips
Dinner: BBQ chicken, gf sweet potato casserole and peas
Sweets: gf peanut butter cookies

There are so many supportive blog full of wonderful recipes. 
Week 2 here I come!

Baking from my heart to your kitchen,






No comments:

Post a Comment