Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cream Cheese Crusted Spinach Mushroom Quiche


I'm going savory again.

I know, but I don't do it often and I will be back to sweet making in no time.
Give me a chance to redeem myself.


I had a doctor's appointment and I was explaining about being a mother of three and how tired I am all the time. I simply asked for a magic energy vitamin to give me a boost after the morning coffee wears off. I was half joking, half serious. 


Since she has to do her job and she was not totally convinced that being a mother of three causes that much energy depletion, she ordered some blood work. She is not a mom by the way, great doctor, but not a mom, so I amused her and gave blood. 


Turns out I have a mild vitamin D deficiency and she wants me to start taking some D vitamins. 
I decided to go one further and eat some foods that might be high in said vitamin. I went straight to Google, top authority on everything. 
Mushrooms.
Yep, mushrooms were the only veggie and there was no fruit listed.

Other food items listed were cheese, milk, certain fish, beef liver (ew), cereal and a couple other not edible things.


Fabulous, a bunch of food I seriously detest. I better look into those vitamins.


In the mean time I'll try some mushrooms and cheese. I was drawn to this recipe because of the crust. I found it here. Cream cheese in a crust, I had to try it. 
The measurements are not what I'm used to and the not sure what language the blog is, but the recipe was in English. 
Here are the measurements I used.






CRUST
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar (to taste)
3 1/2 Tbls cold butter (cut into small cubes)
½-1 tsp salt (to taste)
1/3 tsp ground black pepper (to taste)
Pinch of nutmeg
8oz cream cheese
1-2 Tbls milk



In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and pepper. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles the breadcrumbs.
Add the cream cheese and milk to bring mixture together.
Knead lightly to form dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch round tart pan (or spring form pan), pressing dough into corners. Transfer to freezer to chill for 20 minutes.



Yes, the freezer, not the oven. Trust me


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


FILLING
2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
3 Tbls butter
1 small onion (chopped)
2 1/2 cups fresh spinach (chopped)
1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
Salt, ground black pepper to taste



In a medium skillet melt butter. Stirring occasionally, sauté onion until translucent, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and continue to cook stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add spinach, season with salt, nutmeg and pepper and cook, stirring a couple of times, for another 2 minutes. Take off from the heat and set aside.
Take off the quiche crust from the freezer. In a small bowl whisk together milk and eggs. Sprinkle half of grated cheese on the bottom of the crust. Spread filling mixture over the cheese and then top with remaining cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the filling. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes or until set. Cool for about 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.





I apologize for not getting pictures of the process. I wasn't going to blog about it, but changed my mind when I tasted it. Super delicious!


My hubs loved the crust, it was thick and almost biscuit-like. It really made the dish.
The filling was great too. All my boys ate it without complaint, always a winner.






There was only one slice left which my hubs ate for breakfast.


Trust me, the crust alone enough to make this, even if you change up the filling.


I will back with sweets later, maybe.... we'll see.




Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




Linking Love; /

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy & like something I could eat! I'm surprised about your Vitamin D cause I thought you got that from the sun & you're so tan! I must really be lacking! -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quiche! This recipe looks really good! Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quiche looks wonderful!! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe sounds amazing and your pictures look even better!

    ReplyDelete