Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sweet Potato Cornbread GF DF


Yes, you read that right. This is really good and gluten free.

I was making chili and I really wanted cornbread. I found this idea on Gluten Free Goddess. She has lots of fabulous recipes I want to try. She uses corn meal and gf flour, but let's face it, that stuff is not cheap.
I was a bit discouraged shopping for gf products, they are all twice as much as gluten filled products.

I was super excited to find a reasonably priced cornbread mix by Bob's Red Mill. I decided to adapt the recipe and use the mix. 

Results were fab-u-lous!

It is a tad bit sweet, but you can omit or use less brown sugar if you don't like your cornbread sweet. It also is moist because of the sweet potatoes, which I love, but if you prefer your cornbread grainy and crumbly, this is not for you. 

Moist, a bit sweet and delicious, that's for me.

Sweet Potato Cornbread

2 large organic free-range eggs
 1/3 cup  vegetable oil
3/4 cup sweet potato puree
2/3 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 package Bob's Red Mill Cornbread Mix
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice blend
  salt, to taste

Puree the sweet potatoes. I boiled mine in water until soft, then put them in the food processor until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease an 8 or 9 inch pan. (I used an 8x8 and it didn't bake evenly, next time I will try a 9")



In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy with an electric mixer.
Add the oil; beat again to combine. Add in the sweet potato puree and mix well. Add the light brown sugar, and vanilla extract, and mix to combine.



Add the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt, cornbread mix and milk. Beat on low until combined. Turn the mix to high and beat for 30 seconds more.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.

 Bake on a center rack in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or so, until the cornbread is firm to the touch and golden. Check with a wooden pick, if necessary; if it emerges clean, the cornbread is done. 

Cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!


If you are wondering how it is going. I have decided I do not have a gluten free allergy. I can eat bread and I am just fine. The jury is still out on the lactose.

This has taught me that I don't need to snack all day. I am hungry, I'm not going to lie. The first week was rough. My body is getting used to it though and I don't eat as much. 
This week I have a noticable differance in energy. I don't feel tired all day and I feel good.

The point is, eating healthy does make you feel better. I am not going to eat completely gluten free, but I am going to greatly decrease the amount me and my family consume. 

This cornbread and chili was fantastic, so eating healthier doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. And I have lost 5lbs, bonus!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




4 comments:

  1. This looks great. I love cornbread and I think adding the sweet potato will be GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks interesting. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Remember to come back and vote on Sunday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy cornbread quite often. Sweet potato sounds awesome! Thank you for sharing at All my Bloggy Friends this week! I hope to see you again Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes. This sounds great!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete