Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mint Brownies and Green Smoothies


Remember last week when I told you about my mild vitamin D deficiancy thing.

Well.....

Now to resolve some other "issues" she wants me to eat lactose and gluten -free for two weeks. 
Say What!!
I started researching this gluten-free diet and I basically  have to cut out all foods that I love. As for baking, well that's out the window. At least for two weeks.

After I had a "my life is over" moment, I decided it's worth a try. What's two weeks if it makes me feel better and I find out what may be causing my "issues". Issues are basically random stomach cramps after eating certain foods. So far greasy foods are out. 

So my dear readers, welcome to my journey/experiment/adventure.

I know, your wondering about the mint brownies. It was the last sweet I made before the hammer was dropped. I thought I would share before I start posting my experimental recipes.

At the end I'll tell you about the green smoothie part.

Let's talk sweets first.





Mint Brownies
adapted from Make It Do
(I did her recipe and a 1/2, those are in parenthesis)

1 c. melted butter (1 ½ c.)
 ½ c. cocoa powder (3/4 c.)
2 c. sugar (3 c.)
4 eggs beaten (6)
1 tsp. vanilla (1 ½ tsp.)
½ tsp. salt (3/4 tsp.)
1 ½ c. sifted flour (2 ¼ c.)

1 cups Andes mints (chopped)


Whisk together the butter and cocoa.
Add the sugar, eggs,vanilla and salt
Mix well, then stir in the sifted flour

Stir in by hand. Do not over mix.


Stir in the Andes mints, I found a bag of them already chopped.

Pour into 9×13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. If making 1 1/2 recipe pour into Baker’s Half Sheet (large cookie sheet.) Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes.
Cool for a few minutes and then place in freezer for 20 minutes.

While brownies are in the freezer make first layer of topping.

Mint Filling
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons whipping cream
2 oz cream cheese, softened
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
2 drops green food color



In large bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set.

While that is setting, make the chocolate layer.

Chocolate Topping
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 1/3 cups (8 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter (do not use margarine)


In 2-quart nonstick saucepan, heat topping ingredients over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Cool about 10 minutes or until lukewarm.
Pour over chilled filling. Refrigerate until set, about an hour.



Once set, I decided they would be cute round, so I got out my cookie cutter (see it stuck in there), the brownies were too thick. I did, however, find this old biscuit cutter or something my neighbor gave me a while back. It worked beautifully
Just work fast when you cut them, much easier to slice or cut when they are cold.


I didn't think I would enjoy these, I only made them because they were requested, but I couldn't stop eating them. They were good cold, but even better at room temp when the chocolate and filling were softer.

Ok, Green Smoothie


My sister is a strong believer in juicing and she really wants me to give it a go.
I don't have a juicer, however, and they are quite pricey. I am compromising and having a green smoothie every morning for breakfast. They are surprisingly yummy once you find a combination you like.
My favorite one so far is:
1 Cup Coconut milk
1/2 cup pineapple
1 kiwi
1/2-1 cup strawberries
1/2 cup carrots
handful of spinach

No, you can't taste the spinach, I promise. 

Baking... errr... experimenting from my heart to your kitchen,




href="http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com/">
The Mandatory Mooch

4 comments:

  1. another great recipe. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE mint! Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I love mint!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html
    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete