Wednesday, November 16, 2011

EasyApple Turnover


I know all over "blog land" today there are supposed to be pies, however, they still scare me. The crust alone keeps me up at night. I have had alot going on these days, so I wasn't about to tackle that. I decided instead to do an Apple Turnover. 
The recipe calls for Granny Smith apples, but I only had Red Delicious. They worked just fine. Slice about 5 or 6 of them and place in about 4 cups of water with 2 Tbls of lemon so they don't brown. 
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Here is what you will need:

4 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed


Let's start with the puff pastry sheets. Maybe you would like to make your own, that would be grand. If you do, please share with me. For now, these work great.
Unroll them and lay flat. If there are cracks, sprinkle water on them and smooth out.


Cut the sheets in half, then in half again so you have 8 squares.


Once again, the distracted bug bit me and I didn't get pictures of this whole process. 
This is what you do to get delicious apple filling.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain water from apples, and place them into the hot skillet. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cinnamon, and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Pour into the skillet, and mix well. Cook for another minute, or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat to cool slightly.


Spoon a good amount of apple onto the puff pastry.


Fold over carefully. I always have apple goodness oozing out the sides. Just try to seal it as best as possible. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet to bake. That way you don't ruin your pan with the apple goodness.


I like to eat them nice and warm. I usually burn my tongue. 
You could drizzle icing over it at this point or caramel, my favorite.

Maybe one day I will tackle an apple pie. 



Baking from my heart to your kitchen,





No comments:

Post a Comment