Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows dipped in Chocolate



I am not completely done with Valentine's Day. My son has a post Valentine's party in his class tonight, so I get another chance to make some goodies.

When thinking about what kids would like, I knew I wanted to make marshmallows. My sons love those things. One of my favorite blogs, CookiesandCups, has a great tutorial on these. You can find it here. I will include the recipe and directions at the end, but if you want pictures of the process please refer to her great tutorial.
I will show you what I did with them.



Here they are just plain.


I used some melted dark and white chocolate and sprinkles.



Dip marshmallow in chocolate




Then roll in sprinkles.



Set out to dry. 


I also dipped some bite sized ones, these should be easier for the kiddos to pop in their mouth.

Yes, you could just go to the store, buy some Marshmallows and dip them, but where is the fun in that? 

Here is what you will need:

3 packages unflavored gelatin ~ I used Knox
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract ~ I used clear vanilla extract, so the marshmallows would be perfectly white
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Directions:
Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat. With the mixer on low speed slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes.

Add the vanilla and mix a few minutes more.

Generously dust an 9 x 13-inch non-metal baking dish with confectioner’s  sugar. Or line with parchment paper and spray. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top and dust with more confectioner s' sugar

Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.

Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. dust them with more confectioners’ sugar. 

Slice and Enjoy!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




No comments:

Post a Comment