Thursday, October 4, 2012

Halloween Gooey Bars


I am actually not a huge fan of Halloween, but who can resist all that candy.

Aisle after aisle of candy just begging me to take some home. I convince myself it is for treat bags for kids coming to the door.  If I were honest to myself, no kids come to our door, it is for me and my baking addiction.

Oh, and Candy Corn M&M's, what are your thoughts on those? I had to buy some, for research purposes of course. They actually do taste like candy corn, but I prefer regular candy corn. This is where the inspiration for these bars came from. Someone had put them in a gooey bar and I thought, Why not? Let's do it and throw some other goodies in there too.

Let me just show you what makes these bars fantastic.....



Um yeah.... all that is in there.
Let's pause a moment and recognize how fabulous Caramel Bits are. It's about time, I am tired of unwrapping caramels. Ok, moving on.

You will need:

adapted from insidebrucrewlife


1 chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Oreo cookie chunks
1 c. peanuts
1 c. Candy Corn M&M's

1 c. mini M&M's
1 c. caramel bits1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk


Mix together the cake mix, butter, egg, and vanilla until blended.



It will look crumbly like this.



I had to mix with my hand to form a dough.



Press into the bottom of greased 9x13 pan.



 Sprinkle the peanuts,caramel bits and M&M's on the cake mix. Place the cookie chunks on top. (I totally forgot the cookies and had to sprinkle them on top at the end)


Drizzle the condensed milk all over everything.

Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes. It was really gooey after 30-35 minutes so I cooked it longer. I think it cooked too long. It is very important to let it cool before cutting. I didn't have the will power and I cut into it.  


Let cool before cutting into the bars. Try really hard, I know it's tough.



After they cooled they were much easier to slice and they set up a little bit.

So don't fear if they are still a bit gooey when they are in the oven, they will firm up.


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are full of all kinds of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! All my favorite things. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete