Thursday, November 17, 2011

Simply Saturday: Caramel Sauce


Yes, I know, you would rather know what this delicious looking dish is than hear about how to make caramel sauce. I promise to post this dessert and tutorial next week, but for now I would like to dedicate this post to just caramel sauce. I have made it many different ways and I believe I have finally found one that comes out the same way every time. I love this stuff, I really can't tell you how much this caramel makes me happy.

You will need:
3 cups granulated sugar, divided (2 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
 1/8 teaspoon salt


In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 1/2 cups sugar, corn syrup, and milk. Stir continuously until the sugar dissolves and no longer has a granular feeling. Keep warm over low heat.


In a separate deep, heavy saucepan, add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and spread evenly over the bottom. Cook over medium heat without stirring until the sugar dissolves and begins to turn an amber color. You may “swirl” your pan if necessary to re-distribute sugar while cooking.

As soon as the sugar turns colors, carefully add the warm milk mixture into the heavy saucepan. It will bubble up vigorously and sizzle and the caramel on the bottom will harden.


Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the caramel dissolves and the liquid turns caramel color. Then cook without stirring until the mixture reaches soft-ball stage (235°F) on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat. Stir in the butter.


This is what mine looks like when I am all finished. Grab a spoon and enjoy! Ok, I guess you can drizzle over everything instead. I actually jar some of this and it will keep up to 1 week. I also put some in a squeeze bottle to drizzle at will. 


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,





No comments:

Post a Comment