Friday, November 4, 2011

Simply Saturday: Caramel Pumpkin Cake

Funny thing happened the other night in my kitchen. 

I made some chili and asked my husband if he wanted any bread with it. I don't know why I asked, that man loves bread. He asked if I could make cornbread. Of course, I had a box of Jiffy corn bread in the pantry. I'll whip that right up. Easy enough, right? 

I get the box out, pour the ingredients in a bowl and get to mixing. Then I noticed the directions said to beat with an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes. Odd. I don't remember having to beat cornbread. Oh well, I get out the mixer. Meanwhile, I was a bit distracted because my dear friend just called that she was in the hospital, she is having a baby, I was so excited.

So there I am beating away, thinking, this does not look like cornbread, what did I do wrong. I took a closer look at the box. Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix! What?! Great. I bake even when I don't mean to bake! Now what? I saw a recipe on the box for pumpkin cake. I had pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, I went ahead and threw it in there and finished mixing. Oh well, just roll with it. I put it in the oven and ran to the store for dinner rolls. We will have cornbread another time. 

The cake however, came out moist and smelling fantastic. I had wanted to make more Caramel Sauce, just because I love it, so I did. You can find it here. I drizzled it over the pumpkin cake. Yum!
Best mistake ever!
And so easy.
You must try it!

I just happened to be going to church that night to help pack some boxes for missionaries, so I took the cake with me. They thoroughly enjoyed my mistake and encouraged me to make mistakes anytime.


For the recipe just buy a box of the Jiffy cake mix and add 1 cup of pumpkin and 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. I drizzled homemade caramel sauce on top. Yum!


My son loved it and that makes me happy!


From my heart to your kitchen,





No comments:

Post a Comment