Monday, October 31, 2011

Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups


One night a friend of mine pulls a plastic baggie from her purse with a little piece of cookie in it. She excitedly hands me the bag and says you have to taste this. I reach in the bag and pull out a small bite of cookie. Her husband got a half of this cookie, which he quartered and brought home to his wife to taste. She then halved the quarter to bring to me to taste. So here I sat, bite in hand and thought "what in the world", but I proceeded to put it in my mouth. It was very obviously peanut butter and chocolate. They both loved this cookie so much, they wanted me to try to recreate it. Hmmm.... on a bite of cookie? I am always up for a challenge, so I decided to do a little more research. As it turns out, it is from a bakery downtown and the cookie is called an Inside Out Peanut Butter Cup. There were no pictures or explanation, that was it. I could have driven downtown and bought one, but I have three small children to pack in the car and that just didn't seem fun and where is the challenge in that. What follows is what I came up with. Enjoy!

First up, find a fab peanut butter cookie recipe.
Ok , so I found a recipe, but it didn't turn out as "peanut buttery" tasting as I wanted it too. I am still on the quest for one. When I find it, I will come back here and amend this post. These were still delicious, I just suggest making your tried and true peanut butter cookie recipe if you have one.
It is a recipe for peanut cookies that you press a peanut butter cup in. I think I need just a regular cookie recipe.


We will skip to the "put in the oven" part. After you make your fab peanut butter recipe, if you have one, please share. I am looking for a moist peanut butter cookie. Put the cookies in a muffin tin and bake.
I used a mini muffin pan, but come to find out the original cookie was regular muffin size. I guess that is what I get for not driving downtown. 


After you take them out of the oven, while they are still warm, press an indent in the top with a spoon.


Fill the cups with Ganache. I got this part right. Woohoo! The chocolate was great and a good consistency, but it over powered the peanut butter flavor. Again, a moist peanut butter cookie that has a strong peanut butter flavor. Ok, moving on.


I had some trouble getting them out of the pan so I used a toothpick to get the cookie started, then I could lift them out. Otherwise you may just keep getting chocolate all over your fingers. Not such a bad thing though. 


Place on wire rack to cool. These cookies were best warm, wow they were good. Once they cooled, they seemed to have lost the moist,  peanut buttery goodness. My sons and I ate about a dozen while we were waiting for them to cool. So the key is, if you are going to use this recipe, eat them warm. 

If you are already thinking of a recipe that would be perfect, please, OH PLEASE, share it with me.
Until then, I will be searching and experimenting.

Oh, by the way, my friend still loved these and managed to eat her fair share of them, however, she agreed they needed to be bigger, moister and have a more pronounced peanut butter taste.
The quest continues.......


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,





No comments:

Post a Comment