Saturday, October 22, 2011

Simply Saturday: Marshmallow Fondant

I apologize for not posting much this week. It has been a bit crazy busy and my blogger post thingy is not working right. Mock my choice of words if you will, but you got what I was talking about. I think.
I get asked quite a bit about how I make fondant and why mine doesn't taste yucky. I usually reply that is because it is just marshmallows and powdered sugar. What I don't say is that it really is a pain to make sometimes, but it does taste better than what you buy at the store. I do only use Marshmallow Fondant on my cakes, even though it can be finicky, but it is worth it because it tastes better. I like my cakes to taste good all around, so I hope you all feel the love.
Here is how I make it, in case you were wondering or you have an hour to spare to try it on your own.
You will need:
Marshmallows, about 6 cups
Powdered Sugar, about 1 lb
Crisco, just keep about a cup or two handy
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbls corn syrup

So sorry about the vagueness of the ingredients, just go with it.

Start off by coating everything with Crisco. The marshmallow bowl, mixer bowl and dough hook, also  your utensils you will use to stir and scrape, trust me, it will help with the stickiness of this project. Very important step.


Start with about 6 cups of marshmallows

I say "about"  6 cups, because at my house little hands find their way into the marshmallow bowl when I'm not looking.
Add  1 Tbls of water to the marshmallows and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each one. It takes me about 60-90 seconds. I stir this with a wooden spoon coated in Crisco.
 The marshmallows should be liquidy. Place about 2 cups of powdered sugar in the bottom of mixer that is fitted with the dough hook. Start mixing.

After mixing for a bit, add 1 Tbls of corn sryup, this just help with the elasticity of the fondant. Also add the 1 tsp of vanilla at the time and a few more cups of powdered sugar. Keep mixing.
Keep mixing until your mixer sounds like it is working too hard. I stop to scrape down the bowl and do a finger test, if it is still really sticky, mix add some more powdered sugar and mix some more.
This is about right, only a little bit sticking to the finger. Time to transfer to a different surface. Coat your hands with some Crisco. 
These are two items you use often in this process, so get them handy once again. Your Crisco and powdered sugar.
I am not getting paid for these "Crisco plugs", but I should, don't you think?


Transfer to a surface covered in powdered sugar. This is why you need your hands coated in Crisco, it helps keep the sticky fondant off your hands and helps with the transfer. Then start kneading like bread dough. If you don't know how to knead, I had to work on this so don't feel bad, just fold and press with the palm of your hand.  

Knead until you feel like your hands are going to fall off, your wrists are aching and your arms are screaming for you to stop. During the kneading process you will have to keep adding powdered sugar, about 2 more cups and continue to coat your hands with Crisco. Hopefully this helped. Happy Kneading!
If you have any questions or need a bit more help, just message me!

4 comments:

  1. I made fondant a few days ago but it tasted horrible! and this one sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE fondant!!! I've made it for some cakes but it always breaks so easily. Have you ever had this trouble? I will defiantly give it another shot because this looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baker-I feel marshmallow fondant is the way to go. I actually did have some trouble with breakage, so frustrating. I have had to remake a whole batch. The problem was too much powdered sugar. It can be fixed with rubbing crisco into it, but sometimes that doesn't even work. I roll out my fondant with cornstarch, not powdered sugar and this cuts back on the breaking too.
    Thanks for the comment, please try it again and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete