Friday, October 28, 2011

Simply Saturday: Ganache... Ga-what?

Ganache. Ga-what? 
That is what I occasionally hear when I say, "I covered such and such with ganache". So, for all of you who look at me with that "deer in the headlights" look when I mention ganache, this is for you. My husband requested I cover some Oreos with Ganache, so bonus for you, except he ate them all before I could get a final picture. Gotta love him, and you gotta love this ganache. 


Here are the Oreos, which we will talk a little more about at the end. This is just a teaser so you will continue reading. 

Here is what you will need:
3 tablespoons corn syrup
6 ounces heavy cream
12 ounces dark chocolate, I use Ghirardelli choc. chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

I use Alton Brown's recipe which you can also find here 
There are many recipes out there, I just love his.


In a small saucepan combine the corn syrup and heavy cream.
Bring to a simmer.


Alton recommends weighing your chocolate, so I do, just because he said too.


Bring the contents of saucepan to a simmer and add the chocolate. Stir until smooth.


It will get to this chunky state, keep stirring.


There, smooth.... yum. You could just grab whatever food substance you have nearest you and starting dipping. Your pb&j sandwich, a cookie, hey, even a carrot, whatever. You could also put in between the layers of a cake. If you would a ganache frosting, let it cool then beat it with a mixer until it reaches the consistency you need.  
I chose to dip an Oreo.


I just threw placed, it in the pan.


Spooned some over the top.


And out came some chocolate love. I was getting to the bottom of the pan with this picture.


Place on waxed paper.


Let cool until set, I actually like to put mine in the fridge. The great thing about the ganache, is when you refrigerate it, it does not harden. 

So go! Dip something!







2 comments:

  1. This doesn't exactly look heathy but it sure does look yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is hard not to eat it by the spoonful! :)

    ReplyDelete