Monday, December 26, 2011

Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce


Apple Pie... my nemesis. I really avoid making this all American dessert. I am just as patriotic as the next person, but I really just don't care for it.... ssshhhh... it will be our secret.
Now my husband on the other hand, loves this pie. He requests it often that it has become a joke in our house.
This year for Christmas, however, I showed him!
Yes folks, I.made.apple.pie.

I searched all over the internet and Pinterest to find a recipe worthy of my Christmas present.
I found an intriguing recipe over at giveagirlacookie.com. The intriguing part was that she too is not fond of this pie. I thought if she liked it, maybe I could handle it.

I must confess, I did not make my own crust. But I promise I will....eventually.
She does make her own crust and it looks yummy so go over and check her pie out.
Her pie is so pretty, you can find it and her recipe here.

I did make a few changes, but this is what you will need:

4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cubed
1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Juice of one lemon
1 egg (for egg wash)
A palmful of white sugar, for dusting


In a large bowl, toss the cubed apples with the juice of the lemon and set aside

Let me tell you, this step did not help me like making apple pie.


In a large skillet melt the butter and brown sugar together over low heat, it will look a little granular and oily, I know that sounds weird, but go with it. Add the apples and turn to coat.  Increase the heat to high and cook, turning occasionally, until most of the wedges are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes.


Immediately scoop the apples and their juices onto a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the flour and cinnamon over the apples and toss them until the flour disappears.
Allow the apple to cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out the pie crusts that you made or bought and line a  pie plate with the first crust. Scrape the apples and all the sticky juices into the crust and top with the second piece of dough. Crimp the edges together and cut a few small slits into the top to allow steam to escape.

 In a small bowl, scramble the egg with a few teaspoons of water or milk and brush over the entire top crust. Sprinkle with lots of granulated sugar. I actually had some coarse sugar and it made the pie look so sparkly and pretty, however, I might have overdone it with the egg wash. Note for next time.

Bake for 25 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Allow to cool for about two hours before serving, it will still be warm.


Now this pie was good just like this, served warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream. My husband loved it and savored every bite. Me,well, I have not been converted to "love" and apple pie, but I did manage to eat a slice or two. Then! I thought, this recipe was called a "Caramel Apple Pie", that is why I made this particular recipe. I did not taste enough caramel. soooo... I went to my trusty caramel sauce recipe, made a batch and......


That is more like it. Apple Pie, swimming in Caramel, topped with vanilla ice cream.
That, my friends, is something I will gladly stick a fork into!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




No comments:

Post a Comment