Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Son's 5th Birthday and Cars Cake


When I asked my son what kind of birthday party he wanted I already had an idea in my mind that I was going to sell to him. He had other plans though. He was very convincing. He wanted a Cars party. I tried and tried to convince him otherwise, I've already done a Cars party after all, for his 3rd birthday. But alas, he won, it is his birthday after all. I will have to save my other fabulous ideas for my other two sons. Hopefully they will amuse mommy a little more.  As for the 5 year old, he knows what he wants and how to talk mommy into it. I was going through some pictures of cakes and he loved the idea of having a track on the cake.
Thus, my Cars cake was born!
It was a little more challenging then I had hoped getting that track around the cake. After seeing his face light up with excitement, I knew it was all worth the effort.
I will share some of the details of the party with you, just in case you want to throw one of your own. Feel free to steal use any of my ideas, because, well, I might have taken a few ideas from Pinterest myself.

I was able to set some things up the night before to surprise him in the morning.


My indoor "car wash" of sorts. This was fun while it lasted, but after 10 little boys running through it, well, let's just say my son may have had the bright idea to swing from one. Yeah, that didn't work too well and down most of it came seeing as they were held in by push pins in the ceiling. Sigh... boys.


I used some outdoor tables for the boys. This worked really well and we just served them their food, less hassle that way. I'm all about the easy way. They loved having their own tables too.


Let's take a closer look at the party table. The only thing missing is the chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. I also made chicken chili for the adults. Don't worry, it was a chilly day so warm food was welcomed.


I had grand hopes of making alot of these cookies, but let's face it, I have to stop somewhere. I opted to just make some for the boys. They enjoyed having their name on them. They are chocolate sugar cookies that I love from LilaLoa, that I covered with red fondant and piped their names on with royal icing.


I also had some chocolate covered pretzels, just because. 


And of course... cake!  
For little snacks, I had rainbow fish crackers and Cars graham bites.


I also found this game at the party store. Pin the car on the.. uh... car. Genius.... I know.
I am directing traffic and look very bossy, but they had to stay on track.


I found this game at a party store too. You fill it with candy and have the kids pull out these tabs until the candy fall out the bottom. 



Time to sing Happy Birthday! He was having such a great time! Makes my heart happy.


Then I had an insane thought... let them play with the cake before I cut it. Let's just say, I'm glad it was covered in fondant, because you can peel it off before you eat it. I rescued the cake before it was completely covered in boy germs.


My sweet boy had a fabulous day and I left with a smidge of my sanity. 
All in all... a great day!
Happy Birthday!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




4 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a cute cake!!! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything! I'm coming to you for advice for Kate's future birthday parties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the racetrack runner did you make tis yourself?

    ReplyDelete