Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Spaghetti and Meatballs


I know, you are wondering what has gotten into me. This is not a joke, it is not made of fondant and frosting. I am really posting about spaghetti and meatballs. After visiting my family, I was thinking about how we would spend Christmas and all the yummy food we ate. The tradition for years was not turkey and stuffing, but rather an Italian feast. Mmmm... it was so good. So I thought I would share one of my favorites with you. I found two recipes that sent me back to my childhood with one bite. 
For the sauce I used Emeril Lagasse's from his lasagna recipe, found here.

Let's start with the sauce,
You will need:

1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
11/2 cups chopped yellow onions (1 medium yellow onion)
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves garlic)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups water
1 teaspoon sugar


Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Set aside.


In a heavy 5-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes.


Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar and reserved crushed tomatoes, stir well, and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While this is simmering, let's work on the meatballs.
I adapted this recipe from one of my favorites, Alton Brown, found here.

You will  need:

1 1/2 lbs ground meat
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
1 whole egg
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat, cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs.


Using your hands, mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Use immediately or place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl.



Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs.


Place the meatballs in individual, miniature muffin tin cups.


Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.


Place cooked meatballs into sauce.


Let cook for about 30 minutes more. I left mine on for an hour or so until dinner.


You can use the sauce for lasagna or anything you desire, tonight it was spaghetti.

In the words of my Grandpa, Mange, mange!


Cooking from my heart to your kitchen,





No comments:

Post a Comment