Friday, September 23, 2011

Candy Corn and Ombre Love

Show of hands, how many of you know what Ombre means? Really? That many of you. Well, for those of you still staring at the screen trying to figure out if it's even a word or how one would pronounce it, welcome to my club. I tried looking it up on dictionary.com and didn't find anything, so I started "surfing" and I finally found this:

Origin of Ombré: French, past participle of ombrer to shade, from Italian ombrare, from ombra shade, from Latin umbra. First Known Use: 1893- Merriam Webster Dictionary

Aha! It's basically, a graduation of colors. It seems to be popular right now, from hairstyles, to decorating, even in the baking world. Who knew?

Meanwhile, I wanted to jump on the Ombre train when I saw sweetsugarbelle.blogspot.com create an Ombre cookie, I had to try it. I didn't want to copy hers exactly just use her technique. I went in knowing mine would not look half as nice as hers, but I had an idea.


Candy corn Ombre hearts. Candy corn are Ombre-ish aren't they? Well in my world they are!

I don't have an airbrush, yet, so I used these great tools. Spray mist like Sugarbelle suggested(I've been wanting an excuse to try them) I didn't want to try them on a cake until I practiced on something else. Sugar cookies!

First you flood ice the cookie white, then hold something over the part you don't want sprayed and spray yellow.


When that dries do the same with the orange. Mine aren't perfect of course, I think I held the can too close to the cookie because the color kept running. Practice makes perfect! I did look at a real candy corn though and noticed their lines aren't perfect either, just sayin.


See :)

I also wanted to try a dessert I saw on glorioustreats.com to continue with my candy corn theme.

Candy corn colored cheesecake mousse. Yum, can't wait to eat those. I did add chocolate chips to her recipe however, I always look for ways to add more chocolate to my life. Doctors orders, or was that fiber... I've heard it both ways.

In other treats of the week, snacks for my boys. They love to help, or at least try.

Not sure what they are called, so I will call them Yummy Sweet and Salty Goodness Squares. YSSGS for short. I will make these often, so easy and delicious.



I did make one mistake, I put them toward the front of the fridge. Every time I opened the fridge I wanted one, to the back of the fridge they go. Trust me, I won't forget about them.




That's a wrap for this week, or many wrappers in this case.

Recipes:

Candy corn cheesecake mousse

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk or cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 small container (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed

I added mini chocolate chips in between each layer

orange and yellow food color
candy corn (for garnish)

Directions ~
Beat cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer until fully smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, then milk (or cream). Add vanilla. Continue mixing. Beat about 1 minute on medium to medium-high speed. Fold cool whip into cream cheese mixture, and stir until fully combined.

Scoop about 1/3 of the Cheesecake Mousse into a bowl, and color orange. Color another third of the mixture yellow. Leave the remaining third white. One color at a time (starting with yellow), scoop mixture into a piping bag or large ziplock bag, and squeeze a layer of the Cheesecake Mousse into small dessert dishes of your choice. Repeat with orange and then white Mousse.

Refrigerate 30 minutes (or up to 1 day) before serving. Garnish with candy corn if desired.

Recipe yields 4 moderate servings or 6-8 mini servings.

Recipe Source: Glorious Treats

YSSGS

Square pretzels

Hershey kisses

M&M's

Place kisses on pretzels and bake on low heat in oven (I used the warm setting on my oven) for about 4 minutes, until they are soft.

Put M&M on top and press lightly.

Place in fridge to set, about 30 minutes or until you can't wait any longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment