Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dessert to the Rescue!

A little fact about myself: I love surprises! I think everyone else should too, but that is not the case. My husband dislikes surprises and I think my sons have inherited that from him.

As promised, I made a worthy dessert for the local firemen up the road (see last post for details) I thought it would be great to surprise my boys and take them with me to drop off the dessert so they could see the firehouse we pass, almost daily, up close. They always point and yell "fire truck". Great surprise right? We pull up and my 4 year old finally gets it and says, "What are we doing here?" I tell him we are giving the firemen the dessert Mommy made.

We walk in and as it happens, there is a playdate there on a tour. I explain why we are there and hand over the goodies. We are asked to join the tour, so we do. The nice fireman promptly asks my sons, 4 and 2, if they want a sticker. Blank stares. Ooh, he knows, how about getting in the fire truck. Blank stares. Thats right my sons just stare blankly at him. Ok, one more time, "do you boys want to turn on the lights?" Woohoo! I think, of course they do. No, more blank stares!.... sigh. I guess surprising them backfired on me or they were in such awe they didn't know what to do. Guess I should have prepared them, but how was I supposed to know they were going to get a fabulous tour.

On to the dessert! Brownies! I had some left over cookie dough so I added chunks of that to the top of the brownies before I baked them. YUM! But beware, you need a glass of milk for these rich squares of goodness.

My husband, who would win an award for being the greatest husband ever (I know you want to argue that yours would, but save your breath, mine is the best) He said, and I quote, "I've had better" What?? Now granted I usually bake cakes, cupcakes and cookies and this was actually my first attempt at scratch, not-from-a-box brownies, but "I've had better"? Really? I will forgive him, because first, maybe he has tasted a better brownie (doubt it) and second, because he is so very patient taste testing everything I throw at him (a tough job, I know) so I took them to my other reliable taste tester (the church secretary) and she loved them.... there that's better.

Here is one for you, complete with milk.




Oh, and my sons finally found their voices and got on the fire truck, turned on the lights and asked to get on everything else they had there.



Gotta love em!



Big thanks to Fireman Ryan for showing them around. Enjoy the brownies and don't forget the milk!

Recipe from CookiesandCups.com

3/4 cup cocoa, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of whatever you want to add whether it is chopped walnuts, chocolate chips or any other candy. ***

Combine cocoa and baking soda in mixing bowl; blend in 1/3 cup of the vegetable oil. Add boiling water and stir until thickened. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining vegetable oil; stir until batter is smooth. Stir in flour, vanilla, and salt, mixing until well blended. Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°. 9×13 pan bake for 30-35 min 9×9 pan increase time to 40-45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment