Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cherry Chocolate Cookie

I should title this post, "The Cherry Cookie that made me want to cry".

You know they say, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" well, I would rather make a lemon chiffon cake, but that's just me. Keep that quote in mind though.
 I had some maraschino cherries I had to use in the cupboard, so I decided to make some cookies. Also, after  polling my fabulous facebook fans on their favorite chocolate I had to use some milk chocolate. I settled on some Dove chocolates because they are in cute little chocolate hearts for Valentines' Day. I had an idea and after some researching I found a cookie recipe I wanted to try. I found it on chickensintheroad.com, go ahead and check hers out, because they look nothing like mine. Hers are all pretty and mine, well, flattened. Sigh...


You know those lemons I talked about, I was handed some, in the form of flat cherry cookies. What to do?..


Here is what I ended up doing to save my poor little cookies.



You will need:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons maraschino cherry liquid
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
1/4 cup sugar
Dove milk chocolates


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Cream the butter
Add the powdered sugar and mix to combine.


Add the cherry juice and almond flavor, mix to combine. I also added 1 tsp of red food coloring at this point to get a deeper red.
Slowly stir in the flour until combined.


Chop up some cherries, this is messy, as you can see. 
Add these to the batter until combined.


Roll into balls and then roll them in some sugar.
Place on cookie sheet. The first batch I pressed down with a cup, but the next batches I left in balls.


When they come out of the oven, press the chocolate in the middle, but mine look so sad. When things like this happen, I just want to grab the whole bag of Dove chocolates, crawl under the table and eat them all. By the way, that is what I found my 2 year old doing later. He read my mind! After holding back the tears, I had to try to do something with these sad little cookies..sooo....



I decided to sandwich the Dove between two of my flat cookies. Please look past my horrible nails, for some reason I can't use red food coloring without getting all over me. An occupational hazard.
Meanwhile, I tasted the cookie....


To my surprise they were very tasty and I don't even like maraschino cherries. I tried another one just to make sure and yes, tasty indeed!

I did decide to add some more flour to the batter to try to stop the flattening. It worked a bit so I was able to make some pretty ones.




At that very moment my sons were playing with playdough and some cookie cutters. That gave me an idea. I grabbed my heart cutters and cut my sad cookies into heart shapes. Still not very pretty, so I drizzled some white chocolate on top.
Take that lemons!

They still aren't the prettiest of cookies, but the  important thing is they taste good.
That's what I keep telling myself anyway.









No comments:

Post a Comment