Thursday, May 10, 2012

Java Chip Cupcakes

Do you ever just NEED a cup of coffee.

There is a Starbucks in the Target where I shop. I can smell the coffee before I even walk through the doors.
The smell is like a magnet drawing me to their counter, before I know it I have ordered a Grande cup of goodness. 

It always makes my shopping with three boys a little less stressful.
Ah caffeine... gotta love it.

On a warmer day, one of my favorites is the Java Chip Frappaccino. 
I thought, why not make it into a cupcake! 
I know... yummy... you can thank me later.

To make it even easier it uses a box mix.



INGREDIENTS:
 1 Box Mix Golden Butter Recipe (I use Duncan Hines)
1/3 cup softened butter
3 eggs
 3 Tbsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt + enough instant coffee to make 1 cup   


 Heat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans.



Make sure you have all the ingredients.

Let's start with the yogurt -coffee concoction.

 Put 3 Tbls of yogurt in a measuring cup and then fill up the rest with instant coffee to make 1 cup.

Put this mix in a large mixing bowl with the butter and box mix and start blending on low with an electric mixer. Add eggs and mix until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  
Pour batter in cupcake liners  
Bake for 15-20 minutes or till toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs.


For the Frosting:
1 Cup unsalted butter
1 Cup shortening
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp instant coffee (or you could use Kalhua)
3 Tbls heavy whipping cream (about that much, you may need more)
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I use Ghirardelli semi-sweet)


Cream butter and shortening together.
Slowly add about 4 cups of powdered sugar. Cream for a minute to combine."
Add the vanilla and coffee. Cream to combine.
Add about a Tbls of whipping cream. Start adding a few more cups of powdered sugar. I prefer to use about 6-7 cups. Just keep taste testing until it reaches your level of sweetness. Yes, everyone's is different. 
Continue adding Tbls of cream until it reaches the consistancy you like.
Add chocolate chips and beat for about 5 minutes until nice and fluffy.




This cupcake seriously tastes like you are biting into a cup of coffee. So if you love coffee as much as I do, you must make this!


I also made a 6" round cake for my friend's birthday using this recipe.
Here is how the cake turned out.




So if you need a cup of coffee in the form of a cupcake, this recipe is for you!
Enjoy!


Baking from my heart to your kitchen,




No comments:

Post a Comment